We’re accustomed to seeing ourselves through the lens of the male gaze – both through art and through other male-oriented parameters of societal expectation and decorum. Girl Museum is seeking submissions of original artwork from female artists that focus on portraiture (self or other), girlhood and the female gaze.
We are looking for artists to use the theme as an opportunity to allow their perception of both self, and of womxn in general, to guide their depictions and offer a female-led vision. Note that our platform emphasizes the ‘girl’ experience (broadly defined as self-identifying females under the age of 21), we are seeking work that reflects how the unique experience of growing up as a female has informed your perception.
All forms of artistic media (including video, audio, images, and text) are included in this call. Since we are a virtual museum, all work must be submitted in digital formats – either digitally created or photographed/scanned.
Please send the following to Scarlett at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Up to 5 artworks (no more than 8 files) in .jpg or .png format (max 200 dpi).
- Please include title, date, and alt-descriptions of the works.
- A link to relevant works in an online portfolio (if applicable).
- If your work is video, let us know and we can discuss the best way to send large files.
- Please note that in order to present on our website, we will request the video be uploaded to Girl Museum’s YouTube channel.
- Your name, CV, and a short (100-word) biography.
- An artist statement about the works, maximum 500 words.
Please note that ALL files will be deleted after the selection process. If your work is chosen, we will request high-resolution images for the exhibition.
The deadline for submissions is June 30th, 2022. The exhibition launches on March 1, 2023.
If you have any queries, please send them to Scarlett (email@example.com). We look forward to seeing your work.
Manager, Contemporary Art