Work with Us
Looking to gain experience in museums, girls and women’s studies, or digital media?
Want to work with like-minded activists who love art, history, and culture?
Need to earn academic credit or build your portfolio?
Join the Girl Museum team!
Individuals of all backgrounds and academic majors encouraged to apply.
Girl Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Blogging Interns or Guest Contributors to write opinion and thought pieces, reviews, spotlights on girl-related museum collections and historic sites, and reflections on life as a girl in the world today.
Curatorial Interns to assist with upcoming exhbition research, writing, and object/image selections, for the following:
- More than Pretty (focusing on body image and body decoration)
- Trans Girlhoods (community created exhibition of trans individuals and its redefinition of girlhood)
- Refugee Girls (documenting the experiences of girl refugees in history and modern times, with an emphasis on oral history and first-person narratives)
Marketing Intern to assist with utilizing our grant for Google ads, including assistance with keyword refining, ad writing, CTR, tracking, and other tasks.
Museum Education Interns to assist with developing educational guides aligned to U.S. and U.K. standards for exhibitions, developing new educational content, and create resources for National History Day.
Sites of Girlhood Interns to assist in documenting historic sites and monuments related to girls under the age of 21. Interns will assist with identifying, researching, and producing brief narratives of sites or monuments (existing or proposed). Interns may produce episodes for a podcast series and/or educational activities.
Video Production Intern to create short videos for marketing, upcoming exhibitions, and other needs utilizing our Animoto subscription. Videos will be published on our YouTube channel, website, and social media with full credits. Animoto access is provided.
We accept internship and volunteer applications year-round. All work is done online.
You are welcome to apply for the position that suits your needs and schedule. Internships require a minimum 5 hours per week commitment for at least 3 months. When you work each week is determined by you. Volunteers have no minimum requirements.
You can select a top two choices for area of specialization, which will help determine your initial assignments. Many of our interns complete a variety of projects during their time with us. You can choose to work in one or more fields in our museum, including:
We also offer internships to those seeking to learn and create podcasts for our podcast series, GirlSpeak, or who are interested in developing other multimedia-based programs in the virtual and physical realms.
We also seek interns who are experienced in developing handicap-accessible materials, so as to make our museum more accessible for a variety of audiences.
We also seek marketing interns who are experienced with writing for blogs and online newspapers, and desire to write 1-2 blogs per week and assist with our Girl News International e-newspaper.
We specifically seek interns who have previous WordPress experience. Include any relevant experience or examples in your application to us.
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing the following to our Volunteer Manager, Chloe Turner.
- Your name and contact information (email).
- Your resume or C.V.
- A cover letter on why you want to work for Girl Museum, what makes you uniquely suited to working with us, and why you love our mission. (Be creative! We want to hear about what makes you passionate and the kinds of things you want to learn and do with us.)
- A link to your online portfolio or 2-3 samples of your work (such as blogs you have written, graphics you designed, or photos/link to exhibits you have done – the more related your samples are to the position you are applying for, the better).
- Any questions or concerns you have about working with us.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and we will do our best to match you with projects that suit your unique interests and needs.
If you would like to receive academic credit for your internship, please let us know within your cover letter.