We are currently at capacity for interns and volunteers, so please check back in July for Fall term opportunities. Thank you!
Work with Us
Looking to gain experience in museums, girls and women’s studies, or digital media?
Want to work with like-minded activists who love art, history, and culture?
Need to earn academic credit or build your portfolio?
Join the Girl Museum team as an intern or volunteer.
Individuals of all backgrounds, gender orientations, and academic majors are welcome. Girl Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to providing a safe, creative environment for all of our team members.
Am I an Intern or Volunteer?
An intern has a minimum of 5 hour per week/3 month commitment. Interns have weekly tasks alongside long term projects. This is for people with time, passion, and dedication.
A volunteer is someone who loves our mission, but has limited time to committ. Volunteers will typically have a project that is either short and discrete, or long term and fluid. Some volunteers choose to work on many projects over time, or to be recurring guest bloggers.
We invite scholars (who hold a PhD in their field of study) to contact us about serving as a volunteer Resident Scholar or on our Advisory Board. These positions are limited per year. Fill out the application form (link below) if you have (1) a PhD in a relevant field to our work, (2) want to expand both your research as well as contribute to our mission, and (3) are interested in serving in an advisory capacity on relevant projects.
Have questions? Please email us.
We accept internship and volunteer applications year-round, unless noted above. All work is done online.
You are welcome to apply for the position that suits your needs and schedule. Internships require a minimum 5 hours per week commitment for at least 3 months. When you work each week is determined by you. Volunteers have no minimum requirements.
You can select your two top choices for area of specialization, which will help determine your initial assignments. Many of our interns complete a variety of projects during their time with us. You can choose to work in one or more fields in our museum, including:
- Blogging – research and write original content for our blog. Our blog is a space for editorial and opinion-type content, including movie/book reviews, op-eds on girl-related regional and world events, 3- to 6-week columsn exploring a specific theme of girlhood, and reflections on politics, society, and culture as it pertains to girlhood.
- Curatorial – researching, writing, and assisting with exhibitions and projects.
- Education – research, write, and publish curricular materials tied to our exhibits and projects. (See the “Learn” page for examples.)
- Graphics / Video – assist with creating graphics for our website and store, or help us create videos to promote and share our content. Access to Canva and Animoto are provided.
- Marketing – assist with running one or more of our social media channels utilizing ContentStudio. This includes brainstorming, developing, and publishing new content related to all facets of our website and girl history and culture.
- Podcast – research, write, and record for our GirlSpeak podcast, a monthly series dedicated to exploring girls’ art, history, and culture in the past and present.
- Sites of Girlhood – assist with identifying, researching, and writing entries for our Sites of Girlhood project. May include writing short or long-form entries, as well as providing assistance with Sites-related podcasts and exhibits.
- Web Design – assist with maintaining our WordPress website. Duties may include editing and scheduling blogs, reviewing and updating old content (blogs), reviewing and updating ALT and related tags for our images database, and helping streamline content delivery through plugins or new features. Applicants MUST have WordPress experience.