Work with Us
Looking to gain experience in museums, girls and women’s studies, or digital media?
Join the Girl Museum team!
For 2019, Girl Museum is specifically seeking:
Blogging Interns or Guest Contributors to assist our Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editor with researching and writing blogs. Our blog is shifting focus to encourage opinion and thought pieces (such as ‘Politicking Girls’), reviews of girl-related media (TV, movies, books, exhibitions), commentary on politics/news related to girls, signal-boosting girl powered projects or organizations, and reflections on life as a girl in the world today. We welcome writers who prefer both single pieces and long-term columns. High school and college age girls are encouraged to apply! Please submit two examples of your short-form writing (blogs, articles, thought pieces, etc.) with your application.
Development Intern to assist our Head Girl with developing our upcoming Film Festival. Duties include research; developing program briefs; assistance with grant identification and proposal writing; and other duties as assigned.
Girl News International Interns to help gather news pieces related to girls around the world, write reflection pieces for our blog, and learn to co-manage our e-newspaper (Paper.li) and mailing list (MailChimp) platforms, in order to provide support for the GNI Editor. We encourage girls who wish to develop skills in journalism and media production fields to apply. Our GNI e-newspaper highlights stories at all levels (local, regional, national, and global) to encourage thoughtful dialogue on the status of girls in the world today.
Sites of Girlhood Interns to assist our Program Developer with an upcoming project, Sites of Girlhood, related to documenting historic sites and monuments related to girls under the age of 21. Interns will assist with identifying, researching, and producing brief narratives of sites or monuments (existing or proposed). Interns may also, if interested, produce thematic episodes for an associated podcast series, develop marketing strategies, and/or produce educational materials. Seconday objectives include integration with existing mobile applications, such as Clio. Priority will be given to those with a background in public history, historic preservation, or related fields.
Google AdWords Intern to assist with utilizing our grant for Google ads. Duties include assistance with keyword refining, ad writing, CTR, tracking, and other tasks. SEO experience a plus.
We accept internship and volunteer applications year-round. All work is done online.
You are welcome to apply for the position that suits your needs and schedule. Internships require a minimum 5 hours per week commitment for at least 3 months. When you work each week is determined by you. Volunteers have no minimum requirements.
You can select a top two choices for area of specialization, which will help determine your initial assignments. Many of our interns complete a variety of projects during their time with us. You can choose to work in one or more fields in our museum, including:
We also offer internships to those seeking to learn and create podcasts for our podcast series, GirlSpeak, or who are interested in developing other multimedia-based programs in the virtual and physical realms.
We also seek interns who are experienced in developing handicap-accessible materials, so as to make our museum more accessible for a variety of audiences.
We also seek marketing interns who are experienced with writing for blogs and online newspapers, and desire to write 1-2 blogs per week and assist with our Girl News International e-newspaper.
We specifically seek interns who have previous WordPress experience. Include any relevant experience or examples in your application to us.
Our interns gain a variety of benefits while working with us. You’ll have the opportunity to…
- Build your portfolio,
- Earn academic credit (if approved by your university) and/or professional references,
- Develop your skills, including in writing, interpretation, social media, and more,
- Become connected with opportunities for professional development,
- Receive mentoring from our senior staff, who have worked in a variety of organizations around the world,
- Join a like-minded team of museum lovers and activists hailing from all corners of the globe,
- Make a difference in the lives of girls by helping increase awareness and dialogue of girls’ unique contributions to history and culture.
How to Apply
Please apply by emailing the following to our Volunteer Manager, Chloe Turner.
- Your name and contact information (email).
- Your resume or C.V.
- A cover letter on why you want to work for Girl Museum, what makes you uniquely suited to working with us, and why you love our mission. (Be creative! We want to hear about what makes you passionate and the kinds of things you want to learn and do with us.)
- A link to your online portfolio or 2-3 samples of your work (such as blogs you have written, graphics you designed, or photos/link to exhibits you have done – the more related your samples are to the position you are applying for, the better).
- Any questions or concerns you have about working with us.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and we will do our best to match you with projects that suit your unique interests and needs.
If you would like to receive academic credit for your internship, please let us know within your cover letter.